This session describes low-cost, low-risk, scalable methods to engage patients in compassionate opioid tapering across practice settings. Faculty are opioid tapering experts (2 physicians and a psychologist) from VA, community, and academic settings. Become equipped to screen and partner with patients, implement a successful taper, manage pitfalls, and optimize results.
Threading the Needle: Psychological Strategies to Achieve the Goals of Opioid De-Prescribing and Patient-Centered Pain Care
Beth Darnall, PhD
Opioid Tapering in the VA Healthcare System: Resources, Pitfalls, and Best Practices
Aram Mardian, MD
Boots on the Ground for the Private Practice Prescriber: Patient-Centered Opioid Tapering
Richard L. Stieg, MD
- Describe the results for pragmatic patient-centered prescription opioid tapering research.
- List 3 core principles of patient-centered prescription opioid tapering.
- List 3 psychological and medical strategies that enhance patient engagement and response to outpatient prescription opioid tapering.
- The 'Newish' Skill of Measuring Pain Care in Routine Clinical Practice and Outcomes So Far (203)
- Chronic Post-Surgical Pain: Which Patients? Why? What Can Be Done? (211)
- Mobile-Assisted Treatment: Health-Tech Innovations to Enhance Pain Care and Addiction Treatment (408)
- Cutting Edge Science and Clinical Practice: Buprenorphine/Naloxone for Pain and Opioid Use Disorder (215)