This presentation reviews recent research on physician burnout—including signs, symptoms, and consequences—as well as effective strategies for addressing this growing epidemic. It introduces individual and organization based strategies targeting burnout in physicians that treat chronic pain.
Why Should We Care About Physician Burnout?
Heather Poupore-King, PhD
Burnout in Healthcare Professionals—A Looming Crisis, Especially in Pain Care? What Can We Do About It?
Larry C. Driver, MD
Burnout in Pain Medicine Clinicians: What Do We Know?
Drew Sturgeon, PhD
- Summarize the prevalence of physical burnout.
- Identify signs and symptoms of burnout.
- Review recent research reporting individual- and organization-based strategies and outcomes on reducing burnout.
- Treating Pain in the Elderly (305)
- Oncologic Treatment Related Pain: Updates and Paradigms for Management of Cancer-Treatment Related Pain (201)
- Addressing Barriers to Effective Pain Care Faced By Special Populations Including Women, Hispanics, and LGBTQ: Clinician, Psychology, and Economic Perspectives (205)
- Pain Management in Athletes: Neurophysiological, Biomechanical, and Psychosocial Considerations (209)
- Obesity and Chronic Pain (213)